Monday, January 31, 2011

Like Son, Like Father

     Soldiers will always be my heros.  As a child I used to see my father come home from work in his Army uniform and help pull off his boots in the hopes of getting a quarter that he stuffed in the sides of one of them.  As I grew I watched my two older brothers, invincible heroes in my eyes each don an Army uniform and I wanted to be just like them.  I remember seeing my eldest brother Robert in full gear beside one of the trucks he drove and I thought he was a green camoflauged Storm Trooper from StarWars.  My brother Larry wore desert tans (DCUs)  and Battle Dress greens (BDUs) and Digitized Pattern grays (ACUs), moving up the ranks from E-1 to E-8 a constant True North to set my compass by.  I will always look up to my father and my big brothers for their valiant service to our Great Country as I know our children will look up to us for ours. 
     I met someone today that reminded me that fathers can look up to sons just as much as sons can look up to fathers.  Sitting around a small well worn chess set with several chess pieces that had been reglued together on a wooden bench in front of fully Up Armored Tactical vehicles as the sun was beginning to set on Camp Cropper, Iraq I asked the gentleman sitting across the board from me a question.  "How long have you been in the Military SGT Smith?" SGT Smith looked about 65years old but was just in his mid fifties.  The effect was enhanced by the fact that he had just come off of a mission and his deep seated facial creases were lined with dark dried dirt.  "15 years now, Sir. I was going to get out but my son changed my mind."  "You're son changed your mind?" "Yes Sir.  I had done my time, and my son convinced me to re-enlist.  I wasn't going to but then he got killed while fighting in Kirkuk and I signed back on in honor of his service.  He died fighting 2 years ago today."  I saw a wet streak of grime run down his face without embarrassment.  I asked if I could pray for him and his family on this the anniversary of his sons sacrifice.  16 hats flew off dirty bowed heads and I prayed my heart out.  When I finished I reached my finger over to my King and slowly set it on its side...Soldiers will always be my heros.

1 comment: