Saturday, December 25, 2010

Dicks in Arkansas

Day 5 - Tennessee, Arkansas, Texas
Loaded the vehicle, closed up camp and bade farewell to Tennessee.  The plan was to drive about three or four hours then stop for the night leaving another four or five hours in the morning to mom and sisters house.  I was so rested I drove for about nine hours before stopping on the Texas-Arkansas border.  I suppose one reason for hastening my way through Arkansas came at a Shell gas station.  I pulled in and went to drive to the farthest pump so I could pull straight through after getting gas.  As I rounded the left turn to get to that side of the pump I came face to face with a two foot curb blocking the parking lot from the adjacent lot and keeping me from completing my turn.  The result was I had all but jackknifed the trailer cutting off two rows of gas getters from exiting.  Backing out was the only option.  Jen headed inside with the kiddos for bathroom breaks and I set myself to easing out of what I had just squeezed myself into.  The gentlemen at the pump in front of me walked over and said "I believe if you back up you'll be able to get out of here ok."  I said, while stopping my backward progression to speak to him, "I believe you're right Sir."  He said "Let me go back there and guide you back."  That was very kind.  He waved me back, I backed up.  He waved me back some more, I backed some more.  He waved me back some more...BAM!  The vehicle lurched to a stop against something very solid.  To my surprize he waved me back some more, I didn't comply.  Sticking my head out the window and looking at him to ensure he really was waving me back still I said, "What did I just hit?"  He strolled to the window, scratched his chin and said "I thought that was just a bush but it was apparently a rock.  You bent up your bumper a little bit."  And then he got in his Arkansas plated vehicle and drove away.  Jennifer came out and said "Why are you butted up against that boulder?"  I found it easy to keep driving until I was in Texas.

1 comment: