Tuesday, December 14, 2010

I AM A SOLDIER

I am a soldier.
And though I have fallen, I have not failed.
For I have had the courage to fight.
I am a son.
I am loved by my family, though war has taken me far from their door.
I have fought for them
And I have won.
I am a husband.
I am married to an angel who fights at my hospital bed.
She fights as hard as I have ever fought
To bring me love, hope, and a smile through the hell she is enduring on my behalf
She is my hero.
I am a father.
My children are not ashamed of me.
I look in their eyes and I see boys who wish to be men
To rush into hell on my behalf
and shoulder the fight I have turned over to others like myself.
I see a daughters love that would raise me from any injury to defend her again and again.
I am not fallen in my children’s eyes,
if it is possible I am risen even higher than I have ever been in their hearts.
For I have fallen for them.
I am a Christian.
And though my body be wounded,
My soul and my spirit are strong.
My Heavenly Father has walked the night with me in battle
And He has not left my side even now
I hear no rebuke in His voice as He sits with me,
Only pride, and love.
When I fell, it was He who caught me
And He who holds me still.
I am a soldier.
And though I have fallen, I have not failed
For I have had the courage to fight.

1 comment:

  1. This is still just as powerful now as when I first read it!! A tribute to a good man.

    ReplyDelete