Tuesday, December 14, 2010

WISDOM
(As far as I can describe it from the vantage point of my 34th year)
     Wisdom was my greatest pledge
Fair knowledge sharpened by life’s edge
     Such weaponry was my aim.
So joined I unto the war,

     Which sapped youth’s flower to the core

And forever changed my name.

    Glory and honor, strength and might
A man of God clothed like men of night
     A soldier I was born.
Unto the sands, ‘neath the banner
     Clasp the hands, slick red from the manner
Of death this battle has brought them for me to mourn.
     Forever for me to mourn.

     Glory and honor, these are the dead’s
And forever their badges shall be.
     Alone and forgotten, are the soldiers still living
By all but their painful memories,
     And by a Chaplain who writes a verse.
Who, remembering, writes a verse.

     Why are the living to mourn those laid low?
Should they not live before they cannot?
     Why are the dead so peacefully so,
When it’s their deaths that cause the living to rot?

     Oh wisdom!  Why is it pain and life that buys you?
Once purchased I am broken an old.
     Oh wisdom, what lessons would I recant to,
Now that the cost of tuitions been told?

     If any, it would not truly be wisdom I’ve gained, but lies
Because your attainments are treasures worth keeping.
     The high price worth the prize
And the benefits worth all the weeping.
     The eternal benefits worth all the weeping.

     Wisdom was my greatest pledge
Fair knowledge sharpened by life’s edge
     Such weaponry was my aim.

Yet I fear…
     It shall never be my claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment